Volunteering at the shelter is a great way to give back to the animals. Dogs and Cats Forever, Inc. has many opportunities to serve the needs of the animals that we are privileged to take care of and love. From walking the dogs, playing with cats, or assisting with the general operation and upkeep of the shelter and cat displays in pet stores, there is something for everyone. You can give as much or as little of your time as you like. You may come volunteer just once, once every few months, just on holidays, or even on a weekly basis. We appreciate any and all help you are able to provide; there is always something to be done and a dog or cat to be loved.
What might we need help with?
- We can always use more help cleaning and caring for our animals in our dog and cat buildings. Majority of our cleaning is completed from 8am-12pm every single day. Of course, there are always parts of the buildings that could use a little extra TLC at any hour.
- It’s important to us that our animals get one on one attention and exercise every day. We have several dedicated volunteers who come throughout the day to walk our dogs. Currently, we are in the most need of dog walkers for Saturday afternoon. However, we welcome dog walkers any day during our business hours.
- Socialization. With such a large number of animals, it is important to us that they receive extra attention and enrichment. During our business hours, we welcome you to break out the toys and cuddle some of our furbabies.
- Reception. We can use help with greeting visitors & answering their questions, answering phones and showing adoptable animals; in both the dog and cat buildings. Typically this position is best filled by a volunteer age 18+, but we have had very mature and dedicated teens help us out behind the counter too. Currently we are in the most need to fill this position on Saturdays during our business hours (12pm-4pm).
- We can also use an extra hand at our feline displays at PetSmart in Port St. Lucie and Vero Beach. This position could be filled by someone 18+ or someone who is able to have a parent present while volunteering.
How can you help if you are under 18?
- Volunteers under 16 are eligible to volunteer in our cat building. These volunteers will require a parent to be present when they first come in to fill out paperwork and to attend orientation with them. Depending on age and maturity, volunteers may or may not require their parent to be by their side while they volunteer.
- Volunteers age 16-17 may volunteer in either our dog or cat buildings. A parent will need to be present just to sign paperwork when their child comes in for orientation.
How can you get started?
Volunteer orientations are held Saturdays and Sundays at 11 am by appointment. We ask that you call and let us know which weekend we can expect you. We have paperwork which we can provide for you and ask that you bring along your ID. You may also fill out some of the paperwork ahead of time by printing it or you may fill it out on your computer and email it to email@example.com (file links below).
To let us know which day we can expect you, or if you are unable to make it to our weekly orientation, please give us a call at 772-489-5454, extension 5 (community service). Let us know you’d like to schedule a volunteer orientation & mention your availability; we will arrange a private orientation just for you!
***PLEASE NOTE: If you are inquiring about court mandated community service hours, you must contact the phone number above to get started. However, please specify that you need to complete community service; the process and requirements are different from that of a volunteer, and the volunteer application/orientation does not apply to you.***