Volunteering at the shelter is a great way to give back to the animals. Dogs and Cats Forever, Inc. has many opportunities to serve the needs of the animals that we are privileged to take care of and love. From walking the dogs, playing with cats, or assisting with the general operation and upkeep of the shelter and cat displays in pet stores, there is something for everyone. You can give as much or as little of your time as you like. You may come volunteer just once, once every few months, just on holidays, or even on a weekly basis. We appreciate any and all help you are able to provide; there is always something to be done and a dog or cat to be loved.
What might we need help with?
- We can always use more help cleaning and caring for our animals in our dog and cat buildings. Majority of our cleaning is completed from 8am-12pm every single day. Of course, there are always parts of the buildings that could use a little extra TLC at any hour of the day.
- It’s important to us that our animals get one on one attention and exercise every day. We have several dedicated volunteers who wake up before the sun rises and come throughout the day to walk our dogs. Currently, we are in the most need of dog walkers for Saturday in the late morning (around 10am).
- Socialization. With such a large number of animals, it is important to us that they receive extra attention and enrichment. During our business hours, we welcome you to break out the toys and cuddle some of our furbabies.
- Reception. We can also use help with greeting visitors & answering their questions, answering phones and showing adoptable animals; in both the dog and cat buildings. Typically this position is best filled by a volunteer age 18+, but we have had very mature and dedicated teens help us out behind the counter too. Currently we are in the most need to fill this position on Saturdays during our business hours (12pm-4pm).
Can you volunteer if you are underage?
- Volunteers under 16 are only eligible to volunteer in our cat building. These volunteers will require a parent to be present when they first come in to fill out paperwork and to attend orientation with them. Depending on age and maturity, some volunteers may or may not require their parent to be by their side while they volunteer.
- Volunteers age 16-17 may volunteer in either our dog or cat buildings. A parent will need to be present just to sign paperwork when their child comes in for orientation.
How can you get started?
Volunteer orientations are held every Saturday at 10:30am by appointment. We ask that you call and let us know when we can expect you. Please bring an ID with you. We have paperwork which we can provide for you. You may also fill it out ahead of time by printing it (files below), or you may fill it out on your computer and email it to email@example.com.
To let us know which Saturday we can expect you, or if you are unable to make it to our weekly orientation, please give us a call at 772-489-5454, extension 5 (community service). Let us know you’d like to schedule a volunteer orientation & mention your availability; we will arrange a private orientation just for you!